I made it!  

Monday, November 3, 2008

June 25, 2008 I woke up at 0900 hrs. Our Captain ordered it because we’ve been in a birthday party (2nd engr.). I met mess man in the alleyway (deck c) and he told me congratulation you will relieve 3rd mate when we arrived in New York. I didn’t believe him and I told him that’s impossible!? And the mess man told me that he just read the message from manila and he posted it to the mess hall. I just told him thanks for the info.
I met purser in the stares and he told me congrats cadet you will relieve 3rd mate when we arrived in New York I told him thank you very much purser at last answered prayers. I took my break fast and all of our crew congratulated me that I will be a 3rd mate when our previous 3rd mate will go home in New York. I was so very happy and at last I will be an officer now but there are some nervous and make me rattle. Anyone can feel this when you’re in this situation. Same daily routine for me stand by in the manhole while the four general purposes Indonesian are working inside the ballast tank. Some of my friend told me that I hope I will never change if I become a 3rd officer. I told them I will be neutral if the captain is in my side I will be in his side but my real side is to be with my kapwa pilipino (deck and engine ratings). Then the mess man told me we'll see if you will change but I’m really sure you will change. I just smile but he doesn’t know that I was a rating before and I know how was the feeling of rating that being abused by an officer on board the ship.
I finish my daily routine work (radio check) at 1700 hours. The purser told me while I’m eating in the mess hall that our Captain want to speak with after dinner (1700 hrs). I told to purser r ok I will report to the Captain after I finish my dinner and I told purser maybe our captain will eat me alive or something like that. The purser told me that don’t worry I know our captain even sometimes he is strict but this time he will be nice to you. I and purser report to the captain in his office located inside of his cabin and the captains told me come here cadeto. He told me like this I receive an e-mail to your shipping and I will print it for you and read it to me. I read the e-mail and (we will give chance to cadet to be 3rd mate and relieved 3rd outgoing). He told me if I already have all the requirements and document to be a 3rd mate. I told him yes I already have sir. Do you want to be a 3rd mate? The captain says to me I told him YES SIR! I want and the captain asks me again can you do it? I told our captain yes sir I can do it. Then he just says like this. Ok for now on you will not work on deck anymore but you must be in 3rd mates duty so that he can teach you everything that the 3rd mate do. I don’t like to see you cleaning the stare and alleyway from now on. (Our captain always see me cleaning the stares and alleyway everyday 1730 hrs). 3rd mate will go home in New York and I think you will have a time to study with him and familiarize yourself to be an officer. I told my captain thank you very much sir. He just told me welcome to the club and congrats cadeto I mean 3rd mate. I went out to his cabin and while walking to the stare I jump and shout for joy.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Email this post


0 comments: to “ I made it!

Design by Amanda @ Blogger Buster