I've been part of the AIMS College family.  

Saturday, February 16, 2008

It was December 2007 when i became a College instructor in Asian Institute of Maritime Studies. I graduated in Philippine Merchant Marine Academy in the year of 2006 but I'm original class 2004. I've been late for 2 years because i board my vessel assignment late and stay for 16 months on board in Tanker vessel with international voyages.
I started my maritime college in AIMS in the year of 1999 to 2000. I stayed there for 2 semesters for 1st year college. After that i transfer to PMMA. When i was a student, I was a lazy student. I don't study my subject and hate our teacher when they are very strict on class. I told to my self you’re only just a teacher nothing more and nothing less. So my grades... It’s a mess i only got average grades but its ok. I told to my self that 75% goes to Europe. Then i just pass the PRC board exam last November and decided to have a part time job. I was planning to be a call center agent but my schedule will be much more harder. I have my trainings in the morning to evening and i will go to work in the early morning. Then one of my bunkmate's in PMMA told me that how about try to be an Instructor in Maritime School? Then i said huh?? Can do it? But maybe i can... just to have a fighting spirit that’s all. Monday morning i take my things and try to apply in college school. I attempt to go first in FEATI in Carriedo. I talk to the superintendent which is a PMMA graduate. He told me that you must have IMO instructor course 6.09 and the cost is 10,000 pesos. It's a requirement to all maritime instructors to have that training. I just tell my senior ok sir I'll try to get that instructor course. Then i go to AIMS in Pasay and Maam maricel accept my resume and proceed to step by step application. Mr Ronel told me that they are in need of a maritime instructor and they will accept me. Mr. Ronel told me that tomorrow you must prepare your demo class. I ask for a subject Mr. Ronel told me that any subject will do. The Hard headed student becomes an instructor on that day. Instructor is a big responsibility so i must be a model of the class.


I started my demo class and the subject is all about Classes of fire. After a 30 minute of discussion i pass the demo class and they told me that welcome to AIMS family and Mr. Ronel told me that please report to Ma'am Maricel for signing of contracts and some important papers. Ma'am Maricel told me that i must go to medical for physical exam because it's company requirement and some this and some that. After i finish my medical results i can get my teaching load and i have no idea that my teaching loads will the most major in 2nd year college maritime student. Celestial Navigation that will be there subject for my students. I'm so nervous on that subject because i only know just a little on that subject. How can i start it and how can i explain it. Then one of the secretaries told me that i must get the syllabus for the subject to make it easy for me to discuss and learn the subject. I get the syllabus, borrow books form the library and study it. I was excited because i know what's inside of my syllabus and it will not make me hard on understanding it.




Mt 21 B1 that's the section that i will teach Celestial Navigation. My first day on that class I'm just like a ghost in the classroom. I was very cold and tense on that day. First time to teach and to be a model of the class. On my first day class i don't teach but i just mingle to my student's how they will be reacting to me. I tell some joke and bird's eye view in the subject matter. They were cool, i easily get there attention. I was 25 years old instructor and the youngest instructor in major subject. Sometime my co instructor did not notice me that I'm one of them because i look like a student. So i introduce my self to them and they told me really you are a instructor?. Some of the other student in AIMS know that I'm one of there new classmate in the institute. I just tell them who am i and they will tell me ohh sorry sir. I finish the midterm and final term for my subject. I learn that being an instructor is very hard because you must balance your self. To be an instructor, a Father, a brother, and a friend.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Email this post


Design by Amanda @ Blogger Buster