First drill in Ruby Express  

Friday, June 13, 2008

June 8, 2008 we’re in anchorage area in Latvia. Waiting for there announcement if we will be berthed this day. I woke up around 0630 hrs. Fix my self at that moment. I‘m planning to clean the stairs form D deck to A deck and after I clean the stairs I was planning to go to bridge to study and ask 3rd mate about the safety of the ship and his job description. I was planning to relive him when he finishes his contract. Before I board Ruby express I already complete all my requirement, papers and certificate. Incase they need 3rd officer onboard I will be picked up because I’m a 3rd mate license.
Our old man decided to have a drill today and he chooses to have an Abandon ship drill and Fire in the pump room. Drills make crew onboard the ship to be alert and they can manage to do there obligation incase of emergency. The signal for abandon ship is 7 short blasts and 1 long blast of ships whistle or general alarm. The signal for fire or emergency is 1 long blast of the ship whistle or general alarm.1015 hrs the alarm for emergency sounded. We all proceed in assembly station and to be mustered by our officer in charge. The scenario was fire in the pump room and to rescue pump man inside the pump room. The support squad prepare for fire house for boundary cooling and the emergency squad wear there Fireman’s outfit and there breathing apparatus. I was assigned to join medical squad. Our obligation was give first aid to the victim or casualties.
They rescue the pump man (dummy pump man made of rugs) and as medical team we apply first aid to pump man. We put him to the stretcher and give him mouth to mouth resuscitator. A,B and C was apply ( airways breathing and circulation). Tilt the head to see if there is an obstruction in the mouth and B as breathing feel if the victim is breathing or he have pulse. If there is no breathing but he has a pulse we will apply the mouth to mouth resuscitation. 1 blow and 15 compressions were applied to the dummy victim.
Another alarm was sounded for Abandon ship drill. My designated life boat was located in port side of the ship (left side). My obligation was to assist in gripes, assist painter of the life boat and assist in lowering the embarkation ladder. Our chief mate explain that the life boat can lower even we are inside of the life boat incase of there is no possibility of lowering it outside. He finishes his explanation and asks some question to us. He told us that if we don’t have a question he will ask some question to us. He point at me and told me that “cadet now explain how we can lower the life boat even we are inside of the life boat. I was shocked on that moment and I just walk slowly in front of my crew mate and start explaining. I almost feel like I was drowned because I’m not ready on that moment. Luckily I have an experience on teaching on college school and I explain it very well. The chief mate told to me that its very well enough explanation. Our chief mate know that I already have 3rd mate license and he knows that I was teaching in college school before.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Email this post


Design by Amanda @ Blogger Buster