Go ashore in Ventspils Latvia  

Sunday, June 15, 2008



We heaved up our anchor in Latvia anchorage area at 2300 hrs. We stay at anchor for 1 week because the cargo is not yet ready to load. 0000 hrs the pilot board Ruby express and stand by was announced. The New Ordinary seaman called me in my cabin and told me stand by fore and aft so I quickly fix my self and wear my battle gear coverall. I was assigned in forward part of the ship and I’m assisting the 2 ordinary seaman, able seaman, bosun together with our deck officer chief mate. Deck cadet has many limitations on working and maneuverings. I was ordinary seaman before so its hard for me to adopt the cadet job description but I love the job description of deck cadet because it’s relaxing and it’s not hard as the rating. My shipping company assigned me as senior deck cadet because I’m already have a deck officer license and according to there rules if there ex cadet have a license they are not allowed to be a rating but a senior cadet.
We made all fast at 0400 hrs and I’m so tired because I only have 1 hour sleep. I decided to go to my cabin and rest for a while. I woke up 0900 hrs to go to work for 1000hrs. But the bosun go back to work at 1200 hrs so I just rest again to my cabin till 1200 hrs. The ports are allowing seaman to go ashore so I decided to go outside because the seaman club has internet connection. I, 2nd mate, motorman and os go ashore at 1630 hrs. It’s a 30 minute walk to get there in seaman’s club. We enter the seaman’s club and it’s just like a ghost town. Large seaman’s building club but there is no seaman inside. The internet connection was jammed so we decided to go to the town. It takes 10 minutes ride to be in town. We change our money and the currencies of Ventspile are too high. 100 US dollars are equivalent 46 Ventspils money. We cannot buy a thing if we will not change our money so we change it even it’s too high.
I and messman roam around the mall, nice mall for a little town. We see some people feeding wild ducks and goose outside the mall. Then the messman decided to go to mobile phone shop to window shop some mobile phone. The shops have a Russian girl costumer and I was outside the shop. The messman called me outside like this ( TOL! GRABE YUNG BABAE OH NAKA T-BACK!!!! TIGNAN MO BILIS!!). I just run to him and told to my crewmate (tol ok lang na magtagalog ka kasi di nila maiintindihan nyan pero yung t-back baka maintindihan nila yan. Maski di sila masyado sa English pero tingin ko alam nila ang t-back. Sya lang naman ang babaeng costumer dito eh baka sabihin manyak tayo (sabay tingin din ako sa babae naka t-back nga hehehe)). The group was decided to go back to the ship at 1000hrs so the assembly time in the meeting place in front of the mall is 0900 hrs. While the service man are driving he asked some question to me even he is having a hard time to speak in English. (My friend you like jigy jigy (means if I want to have a girl). I told him no thanks I don’t like girls even it’s blonde. My friend why no like girls blonde cheap only US 100 dollars my friend. I told him that sorry my friend I really don’t like to get a girl even its blonde I just want to be honest to my girl friend. The service man say’s You have wife? I told him no my friend a girlfriend I have a girlfriend not wife. Then the service guy says very good my friend you honest to your girlfriend. Then after he finishes asking me about that jigy jigy thing we arrived at the gate of the terminal and we say to the service guy. Thank you my friend I hope we can see each other again. Nice meeting you my friend!!

AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Email this post


Design by Amanda @ Blogger Buster